- Teens’ brains make them more vulnerable to suicide
- Everyone Can Play a Role in the Conversation about Mental Health: Faith-Based Organizations Fact Sheet
- Information for Faith-Based and Community Leaders: Mental Health Talking Points for Faith-Based Communities
- High rates of suicide in Chicago, suburbs raise red flags, Chicago Tribune
- Talking About Suicide and LGBT Populations
High rates of suicide in Chicago, suburbs raise red flags, Chicago Tribune
“Most people don’t like to say the S-word, which is part of the problem,” said Kirchhoff, a McHenry County dentist and father of three surviving children who this week shared the story of his youngest son’s 2005 death at age 18.
The presentation, at a McHenry County forum called “Help and Hope,” was part of a new suicide prevention and awareness campaign prompted by officials in the McHenry County coroner’s office who noticed a spike in suicides in the first nine months of 2010. The trend is mirrored in DuPage, Kane and Lake counties, where the number of people who have taken their own lives so far this year already is approaching or has overtaken 2009′s overall tally.
For the entire story, visit www.chicagotribune.com.