- Teens’ brains make them more vulnerable to suicide
- Everyone Can Play a Role in the Conversation about Mental Health: Faith-Based Organizations Fact Sheet
- Information for Faith-Based and Community Leaders: Mental Health Talking Points for Faith-Based Communities
- High rates of suicide in Chicago, suburbs raise red flags, Chicago Tribune
- Talking About Suicide and LGBT Populations
New Suicide Prevention Training Video for Substance Abuse Treatment Providers
Recognizing that suicide is the leading cause of death among people who abuse alcohol and drugs, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), in collaboration with SAMHSA, has developed a training video as a companion piece for SAMHSA’s Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) 50: Addressing Suicidal Thoughts and Behaviors in Substance Abuse Treatment. In the video, a moderator and three panel members discuss ways to manage and address suicidal thoughts and behaviors among individuals with substance abuse issues. Although the video is designed for VA settings, the content is applicable to all treatment settings. The counseling sessions portrayed in the video employ the specific counseling techniques and the four-step process recommended by TIP 50. SAMHSA recommends that the video be used in conjunction with TIP 50. An SPRC research to practice webinar that offers more information on TIP 50 is available at www.sprc.org.